Tuesday 12 April 2016

Review: Love Song


Love Song
Rating: 4/5
Buy or Borrow: Buy 
Source: Copy courtesy of the publisher, Chicken House! 

A million girls would kill for the chance to meet The Point, but Nina’s not one of them.

She’s the new assistant to the lead singer’s diva fiancée, and she knows it’s going to suck. She quickly learns that being with the hottest band on the planet isn’t as easy as it looks: behind the scenes, the boys are on the verge of splitting up. Tasked with keeping an eye on four gorgeous but spoiled rock stars, Nina’s determined to stick it out – and not fall for any of them …


Well guys, I actually only meant to read like a couple of chapters of this and then go to sleep, but I ended up breezing through the whole thing instead and getting a very late night because I just kept thinking.....hmmmm...one more chapter until I was done! This is definitely one of those feel good books that you'll re-read again and again and I have a feeling it's going to be making a lot of Summer reading lists! 

I completely loved Nina, she was hilarious, although I felt for her as well because of all the things she's been through and then has to deal with. I think she handles herself very well in the book, and in all these crazy situations and she felt very genuine and realistic in her reactions and behaviour and she was very grounded throughout it all. I enjoyed that she didn't particularly like the band although it wasn't the reason I thought it was for, and I liked seeing them through her eyes. Getting the first impressions and then watching them change over the course of the book. Nina does her share of changing don't get me wrong, but when you first meet the boys you're like woah okay, attitude adjustment needed, and over the course of the book you watch them change and get back to being more like themselves and working as a team again and it was brilliantly done! 

The boys themselves where brilliant, I mean I was thinking this would be the whole doesn't like the band because of the music, and the guys are so brilliant and hilarious and perfect and blahblah like is usually the case, but this surprised me because it wasn't. I wasn't too sure what to expect from the synopsis, and I so loved being pleasantly surprised. The boys are very well written, they're not at all perfect they all have various different issues and at one point none of them where all that likeable. They where rude, they where sort of diva's actually, and the author does a brilliant job of showing us what it's really like when there's no fans or paps around. It made a refreshing change and immediately made them more interesting to me. What I also enjoyed is that rather than just getting the male love interest all the time, we actually get to know the other members of the band quite well and they get their own little romance going on, which was nice! 

There's also plenty of other brilliant characters that help to bring the book to life, Ariel who was completely adorable and her interactions with Nina where so perfect. I felt for her so badly when Nina reported back about what had happened and so on. Tammy was hilarious, I laughed way too hard when she stuck it to the jerky ex and his smug new girlfriend! There was Issy as well! I loved her, she was perfect for a certain someone. Windy...he was just freaking hilarious! 

The developing friendship between Nina and Angus was one of my favourite things in the book, it wasn't just a romance, there where other relationships too. I just loved Nina and Angus, and she helped him and then he did such a nice thing for her and he was kind of slowly softening towards her and then they became friends and cracked me up whenever they interacted in the second half! I'm not going to lie to you guys, I kinda shipped Nina and Angus even though it was obvious who she was going to end up with because of the whole initial tattoo thing. I mean I liked the guy, and I liked the romance but still...NANGUS. That is a ship name okay. I know it sucks but still. 

The book was interesting because I thought it was going to be all romance from the beginning but in the first half of the book you have the tour and her first meeting the boys and starting to get to know them, starting to make friends with Angus, trying to help George and so on. Then in the second half there's a different situation entirely, the boys are sent out in to a remote location to record, and the setting was completely gorgeous, I got some mental images from the descriptions and kinda wish I could go there! 

Anyway, it's the second half that the romance comes in to play, the romance is tricky for me because like I said, I kinda shipped Nina and Angus but I knew she'd end up with the guy because of the initial thing. I liked the romance, there where some completely adorable moments, warm and fuzzy moments and I ended up getting on board with the relationship. I just had a different ship is all, not that I minded how things ended because his POV at the end was so CUTE. The ending in general was ridiculously cute, like feels attack cute. I also liked how grounded Nina was during the whole romance thing actually, otherwise I might not have been as okay with it and some of the stuff that happens! She's just very grounded about it all and says what we're thinking a lot of the time I think! 

In short, Love Song is a brilliant read, it's a romance yes, but there's more than just the romance in the book. There's friendship, humour, and a whole load of drama! Like really good drama! It's brilliantly written, Nina is a perfect protagonist to make this story stand out from the crowd, she makes the whole situation seem more genuine and realistic and is a brilliant narrator! Not to mention the fact that this book has a completely awesome soundtrack to it. Seriously, it's in the back of the book, make a playlist and just listen because it's such an epic soundtrack! 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...