Wednesday 13 September 2017

Review: Deviation



Deviation
Rating: 5/5
Buy or Borrow: Buy 
Source: Copy courtesy of the publisher! 

Being a Sophisticate of the Program seems like it’d be a pretty sweet deal: a little genetic alteration and anyone can be smarter, faster, and stronger. It’s a dream come true. All you have to give up is your freedom. 

Cleo is a Sophisticate and she has a bright future in the Program. But she has a secret. When she gets upset, bad things happen. Explosive things. Things she can’t control. 

When her secret is discovered, she’s sent to the Academy to train in the military branch of the Program. She’s destined to be a human weapon in the war that’s been going on since Wormwood occurred nearly 30 years ago. She soon learns that although her ability is unique, there are others like her — other Sophisticates with lethal skills and odd code names like Archerfish and Mimic Octopus. 

Immersed in a dangerous game of supernatural powers and dubious motives, Cleo doesn’t know who to trust. Ozzy, the annoyingly attractive cadet who has perfect aim in weapons class and deviant lips behind closed doors, begs her not to use her powers. He’s the golden boy of the Program, but can she trust him?


I am in love with this book, and I think this is going to be a new favourite series of mine! I can't wait to pick up the other two books and just binge read the crap out of them, and then re-read them again and again! I'll also be checking out Manzari's other books based on the strength of this one...that's how good it is. The author's now an autobuy one for me! 

The opening sets things up brilliantly. I immediately felt for Cleo, and I could relate to and empathise with her. She had no choices, no say, nothing. No wonder she was a bit prickly and angry at the beginning! I really loved her as our main character, she was snarky and relatable and you could really root for her. She goes through a lot in this book, makes some discoveries about herself and is still standing at the end. Also, her trying to escape the zip ties is pretty much how I envision that going for myself if I ever try it! 

Aside from Cleo, there's a tonne of loveable characters in the book! Sterling was brilliant. He too was snarktacular and his banter with Cleo and Arabella cracked me up. It was genuinely hilarious. Arabella is another of my favourite characters from this book. I picked up some new curse words from her too, like bitchwad! She's not afraid to stand out and be a bit different and she's a fantastic friend to Cleo. I'm kinda scared about book two because I have a feeling it's going to be brutal on that front. I loved the bonding and friendship between Cleo, Sterling and Arabella, they're my three Musketeers and they brought a smile to my face more than once while I was reading. 

Ozzy was tricky, I felt for him. I really did. He'd been there the longest and knows the truth, but no-one believes him and he gets roped in to doing all the dirty work, dragging people back where they come from. But as much as I felt for him, he still seemed a bit shady, I was wary of him for most of the book actually. I do really ship him and Cleo though, they're really cute together! I ship Arabella and Sterling as well...like I have my ships, but the romance isn't the most important part of the plot, and it's not in your face every five minutes. 

My favourite part of the book? They play freaking roller derby and it's awesome, oh my God. It's just an original little touch that I loved. I've never read about any characters playing roller derby before. And then they go full badass and make their changes and have the cards and everything and I was LOVING it. 

Aside from the loveable characters, there are some pretty unlikeable ones too to balance it out and I can't see myself liking Quinnie or her lackeys anytime soon. There's also the baddie that reveals themselves at the end of the book that looks like it's going to make things interesting! I did really end up liking Theo and Wes though and they fit in with my little three Musketeers so well although poor old Wes needed to take the hint! But it brought a smile to my face seeing them getting along after Quinnie made things so horrible for Wes. 

I was so intrigued by the science behind it all and the setting and the history to the world and how it all happened and ended up like it did in the book, and while we got to learn some, I'm looking forward to learning more in the next books! 

Deviation has a cracking pace to it, I raced through it in a few hours! There's drama and intrigue as well as humour and brilliantly memorable characters. The plot sucks you in and has lots of threads to it to create a complex and intriguing story. There's a nice shock reveal at the end that will carry you over to the next book which I kinda need....like right now! All in all, it's a brilliantly fun and original book that'll keep you hooked until the last page! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...