Friday 29 January 2016

Review: Star Wars The Force Awakens


Star Wars: The Force Awakens
Rating: 4/5
Buy or Borrow: Buy 
Source: Copy courtesy of the publisher! 

Set years after Return of the Jedi, this stunning action-packed adventure rockets us back into the world of Princess Leia, Han Solo, Chewbacca, C-3PO, R2-D2,and Luke Skywalker, while introducing a host of exciting new characters. Darth Vader may have been redeemed and the Emperor vanquished, but peace can be fleeting, and evil does not easily relent. Yet the simple belief in good can still empower ordinary individuals to rise and meet the greatest challenges.

So return to that galaxy far, far away, and prepare yourself for what happens when the Force awakens. . .
 


Okay so I'm not going to expand on the synopsis from GoodReads because I don't want to spoil it because some people may still have not seen it and ya know...just spoilers in general! 

So, I completely love Star Wars, I'm a Star Wars nerd, I got to see the movie on Christmas Eve and I was so excited to read the book and get to re-live the movie, I mean I could practically hear the opening theme music as I was reading the beginning! But then I sing the opening titles to the tune of the theme song soooo.....

ANYWAY. There's a few scenes that I don't remember being in the film, that where nice additions and helped to expand on the movie a bit more. There where scenes that where extended from what I remember of the movie, and a few changes here or there. Because of all of this, you get a lot better understanding of what's going through the characters heads in the movie, what their motivations are, what the history of the places featured are and so on. You also learn more about the situation with the New Republic and what went wrong and the problems with it and how the New Order rose up. 

I thought the book translated perfectly from the book in that it retained it's cinematic values. If that makes sense, like I've read book versions of films that where so dull and boring, but this was very cinematic, even if you haven't seen the film I would think it would be easy to picture the scenes and the settings and get a feel for the places. The beginning did go on for a while, and all of the bits at the end did feel a little bit rushed in comparison, so I think the book could have been longer, or the beginning cut down perhaps, but other than that I really enjoyed it and getting to go back to the movie! 

There where so many bits in the book that I wished had been in the film, but then the film probably would have been like a million hours long, but then....would any of us really care? Nope not really! The dialogue was great, the action scenes translated well on to the page, you got a feel for the characters, especially Kylo Ren! It also helps you to spawn even  more theories! I just loved reading the movie, as it where, because it added so much more insight! I mean BB-8...I loved BB-8 in the movie but you actually get to understand him a bit more! It's definitely worth a read whether you've read the books or not guys! 

I can't believe I've never read a Star Wars book before! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...