Wednesday 20 December 2017

Manga: Angels of Death


Angels of Death
Rating: 4/5
Buy or Borrow: Buy
Source: Copy courtesy of the publisher! 

Most girls that wake up in the home of a serial killer would panic, but not Ray. In fact, her meeting with the killer Zack is actually quite convenient because her only wish is to find a good way to die. 

I've had my eye on this since at least midway through the year, I included it on the new manga blog post I did a while back and I was so intrigued by it...but still not entirely sure what to expect. I ended up being pleasantly surprised, because it was even better than I was envisioning and I'm really excited for the coming volumes! 

I love the colours used in the colour pages at the beginning, it's bright and pretty and the art on the colour pages is gorgeous and so cute...the art throughout the entire volume is so cute actually! Considering the subject matter of this series..you know, serial killers and murder and blood...it was an interesting contrast. Cute characters who are psychotic killers. 

The opening is nice and creepy and it doesn't get any less creepy from there. I was really pulled in to the volume, and the pace was nice and fast. I was on the edge of my seat reading multiple times, I could feel the tension and I was mentally shouting at the main character multiple times. Like you know there's killers everywhere, and they're all creepy and you're waiting for the other shoe to drop...especially with Danny. 

There's a really fun game like feel to it, with each floor having certain rules and the clues and hints and the things needed to get to the next floor. Rachel seems all innocent and Snow White-ish at the beginning but she has a creepy moment of her own pretty quickly that had me side eyeing her for the rest of the volume. 

Zach looks set to be our other main character and he's your average, bandage covered, crazy serial killer. He's a "decent guy" according to himself and oddly enough he made me chuckle more than once. He's kind of oddly loveable and I'm looking forward to seeing more of him and getting to know him. 

"Doctor Danny" provides us with the awkward moment when Zach is less creepy than he is. Danny was legitimately so creepy it made me shudder and our MC was kind of oblivious and I was mentally screaming at her. The eye thing is definitely what made him creepy, and it kind of made my eye twitch. He did have a nice amount of back story to him though, considering this is volume one! 

Our MC, Rachel, remains quite mysterious. Who is she? Why is she there? We know she went in for counselling but not why and there's a lot of her character to unravel still, as there is for Zach too. As the two team up I'm hoping we'll get some background on the two of them and it seems likely from what I've seen of the series so far! Each character has a lot going on under the surface and more to them than first appears. 

The plot has a nice mystery element going on. Who's in charge? Who made this place? What exactly is going on? And so on, and I'm intrigued to unravel all of it and put the pieces together. I love the combination of cute, gorgeous art with blood, gore and intense creepiness, it's quite a stunning contrast. 

Angels of Death is fast paced and has left me wanting more, as well as being excited to get on to the other floors and meet more of the killers that inhabit them. Not to mention get to know more about Rachel and Zack, and their pasts and so on! I have a feeling both are going to be very interesting characters! Their banter is hilarious if not a bit murdery. All in all this is an excellent first volume, serving to introduce the story and characters and get you interested in what's to come! 
SaveSaveSaveSave

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...