Tuesday 3 October 2017

Review: Successor's Promise


Successor's Promise
Rating: 3/5
Buy or Borrow: Buy
Source: Courtesy of the publisher! 

Five years have passed since the Rebels confronted the Raen. Five years, in which the boy Rielle rescued, Qall, has grown up among the Travellers, with no memory of the life that was stolen from him. 
Five years of chaos, barely contained by Baluka and the Restorers. Worlds are at war, some overrun by deadly machines, some drained of magic by power-hungry sorcerers.
As Qall comes of age, and Rielle and Tyen's hard-won peace is threatened, their loyalties are tested - and Qall's very existence is at stake.
Because Dahli is still determined to restore Valhan to power, and he will stop at nothing to succeed. 


I'm not really sure how I feel about this one. I loved the first and second books but for this one I just felt kind of eeehhh about it. I felt there where some issues when things slowed down that made it hard for me to keep reading, and I felt like things got a bit repetitive at times and mind reading is used a bit too much as a convenient way to sort things out with the plot and so on. 

I spent most of the book thinking Qall needed a good smack and that was the extent of his personality, I mean on the one hand I can see why he would be written with not much personality, but it didn't really make me click with him. I really like Rielle and Tyen, they where quite the team, but in this book Rielle won't trust him at all and is quick to think the worst of him, there's a lot of perceived betrayal but my issue was that there was no "Oh....oh maybe he is" like I knew Tyen wasn't doing what Rielle thought he was. I think it would have worked a lot better if we didn't have Tyen's POV because there was no serious question about his motives, you knew what he was doing, Rielle assumed things and that was it. 

Tyen, bless him, is trying to do what he thinks is right as usual. Basically. 

The book seemed overly long to me, and like I said, it was a bit slow in places. I felt like the whole thing with Dhali was a bit of a cop out....but then we got to the end of the book and I discovered this wasn't in fact, the last book like I'd thought, so I'm now guessing that he's going to come back and things might be resolved a bit more that way possibly. Either way I wasn't very satisfied with how things went with him, I felt like it was a bit abrupt for a personality switch. 

I'm feeling like everything is kind of wrapped up and I can't quite see what would happen in the next book, except for some obvious things, which are things that I was really hoping wouldn't happen. So it'll be interesting to see which way the story is going to go to be honest! 

1 comment:

  1. I really need to get caught up in this series, I love Trudi Canavan.
    Cora ❤ http://www.teapartyprincess.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...