Thursday 19 October 2017

Manga: Kiss Me At The Stroke of Midnight


Kiss Me At The Stroke Of Midnight Vol 1
Rating: 4/5
Buy or Borrow: Buy
Source: Copy courtesy of the publisher! 

Hinana prizes her reputation as a serious high school student, too focused on getting into college to pay attention to boys. But she's a secret fairytale romance freak, sneaking away from her studies to see A Roman Holiday and tucking pop idol magazines into her textbooks. When her celebrity crush comes to her school to film a TV episode, she has to pretend to be totally uninterested even as she desperately tries to get close to him. However, she's not the only one who's not what she appears... her dreamboat isn't just a pretty face either! 

Sometimes you guys, I just want a cute romance. Sometimes I like a bit of cheese to brighten my mood and give myself a chuckle. So of course, I picked this up because it sounded like it would be a nice cheesy romance.....but it wasn't exactly what I was expecting! 

I am loving it so far though, it's cute, fun and humorous and the characters are definitely memorable. The story focuses a lot on Cinderella, it's an adaption of sorts, there's a couple of little things from the story popped in there already and I love spotting them and being like 'aaaaaahhh! I see what you did there!'. Once Upon a Time is one of my favourite shows so I'm loving the fairy tail bits and pieces in this one! 

Hinana is very serious and follows a strict schedule when it comes to daily life and studying....but secretly she loves romance and fairy tails and sneaks out to see romance movies and hides fairy tails in her textbooks. She's actually pretty relatable for me, stories are always so much better than real life! But she's especially relatable when it came to contacting Kaede....took me right back to the days when I used to hang out with bands that I was friends with but had crushes on! 

Akira...I'm wondering if he's going to have a bigger role in proceedings in the future, I'd like to see more of him, he seems like he could bring some nice drama to the story! Run seems like she's going to be a fun character too, and a good friend to Hinana so I'd love to see more of her too! 

Kaede...he's the surprise I wasn't expecting. I was expecting him to be all Prince like and perfect to fit with the Cinderella vibes but his personality was a wee bit of a surprise! Let's just say he's a butt guy and a bit of a perv...but he's also fun too. Part of what makes this manga so funny is Kaede and how he is personality wise and the initial surprise you get when you first meet him! 

The art is cute and pretty and I love the use of cute chibi's to convey the characters specific emotions at points! We pack quite a lot in to this volume and the romance is kicking off towards the end of it, so it should progress further in the next volume buuuutt it looks like it's going to be hindered by a couple of things and if I'm right about Akira it'll be hindered even more. There's basically gonna be some draaaaamaaaaa! 

I'm anticipating some more silly antics and more drama in future volumes, like in this volume. I'm not going to be taking it too seriously but it looks like it's set to be a cute and fun romance with some silliness and drama on the side I definitely enjoyed reading it, there's some warm and fuzzy moments and it was certainly entertaining. This first volume does a great job of setting up the story and getting you interested in what's going to happen next! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...