Tuesday 22 March 2016

2016 Classics Challenge: March

Hey guys! 
It's time for the Classics Challenge again! I read this months classic fairly early on, and it's the fastest I've ever read a classic! I literally read it in two sitings! I wasn't too sure in the beginning, but once it got going, I was hooked! 
I've actually read more than one classic this month, as I got to review two completely gorgeous editions of Persuasion and The Woman in White! I'm clearly on a roll! As usual, we'll have the Q&A section, followed by my video with my thoughts on the book! 




"They've done it before and they'll do it again and when they do it - seems that only children weep"

So as you can see, this month I read To Kill A Mockingbird, and I got on really well with it, partly because the writing was more modern, but also because it really hooked me with the whole Boo Radley thing, followed by the trial and so on! 

To Kill A Mockingbird is narrated from Scout's point of view, set in the South in the 1930's. In the book we see Scout and her brother Jem become fascinated with the mysterious Book Radley, and determine to get to see him, along with their friend Dill who comes to town every Summer. But as one Summer begins, so does a trial that will have a big impact on Scout and Jem. Their father Atticus is to defend a black man, in actual fact the real Mockingbird of the book, charged with attacking a white girl. A case that would have been familiar in the time period. 

When I Discovered This Classic

I'm not entirely sure how I discovered this, it's just kind of always been there, as one of the big classics. I'm going to assume I came across it through another book perhaps, or film or TV, or just hearing someone talk about it. Or possibly at school, a teacher may have mentioned it in passing or it could have been on the wall. Our classroom used to have a huge poster with classics all over it. We never did this book at school, but I really think we should have! 

Why I Chose To Read It 

I chose to read it because I always feel like I should have read it long ago. I really do think we should have read this book at school and I'm kind of disappointed we didn't. It's always been on my list of books that I've wanted to read, and I just never got around to it, then I bought it a few years ago determined to read it...and still never got around to it. Then you guys voted for me to read it next and here we are! It's always intrigued me, as everyone speaks so highly of it and now I see why! 

What Makes It A Classic 

The message behind the book, simply. While this is a coming of age novel, in part, it's mostly a book that brings to life a very horrific time period in the South. History is brought to garish light, and is so incredibly real as you're reading it. The message of this book is a warning about prejudice. It shows how nasty people can be when prejudice is involved, and what the consequences of it are. This book shows you all that's wrong with race and class, and warns you against it. The most startling point of the book is that kids can see all that's wrong with this behaviour when the adults can't. It's a very powerful message. There was also some intense hypocrisy in this book at one point that kind of makes you shake your head, as it's so typical of behaviour. 

What also makes this a classic, I think, is that sadly this book teaches us a lesson that is still relevant today. In this day and age. 

What I Thought Of This Classic




Will It Stay A Classic

Undoubtedly. Unfortunately, there are always people who are racist and prejudice to other people, so this book and it's lesson will always be relevant, which is sad, and I do hope I'm wrong, but I doubt it. Especially watching the news these days, I'd love for things to change, but we have a long way to go. 

Who I'd Recommend It To

I nearly said something rude, but I thought I'd best not. In more polite terms, perhaps people who can benefit from reading this book. People who are interested in the history of the time period, people who, like me, haven't read a kids book in ages and fancy reading a book narrated from the view point of a child, but still want to read an adult book, if that makes sense? Definitely teenagers! 




For Those Asking...

I mentioned in my TBR video that I wouldn't be reading Go Set A Watchman, and a few of you where wondering why. Well, I read a lot of articles about the book and how it's publication came about, and I just feel like Harper Lee may have been taken advantage of, and I'm not sure how I feel about the book! 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...