Tuesday 12 March 2019

Manga: Bungo Stray Dogs 9


Bungo Stray Dogs Vol 9 
Rating: 4/5
Buy or Borrow: Buy
Source: Copy courtesy of the publisher! 

With only minutes to stop the Moby-Dick from crashing down on Yokohama, Atsushi encounters his nemesis, Guild leader Akutagawa, but their face-off turns into a three-man battle when Fitzgerald enters the fray. 

The pace is fast from the outset of the volume as Akutagawa has to be dealt with so Atsushi can deal with Fitzgerald and try to prevent the Moby Dick from destroying the city. We get to see Fitzgerald's skill in action and the insight in to his motivation is intriguing too. Of course, it swiftly becomes a three way fight when Akutagawa joins in after the distraction for him comes to an end. Meanwhile Dazai is busy trying to talk some sense in to Kyouka. 

I loved how Atsushi and Akutagawa came to an understanding of each other, what their motivations are and so on and Atsushi found out about Akutagawa's thing with Dazai and wanting to be recognised by him. But I mostly loved the two of them going full power for Fitzgerald and dare I say...bonding?! Or at least giving each other a boost. 

It goes right down to the wire in this volume, and I was on the edge of my seat and then it gets real heart breaking, real fast and I was so not here for that psyche out, it has to be said. Just wow. Don't toy with my emotions like that.  

This volume has made me want a bromance between Atsushi and Akutagawa, especially after the latter dragged the former out out of the Moby Dick! I'm just so here for the two of them being a little duo and I do actually like some of the Mafia members which is why I was so excited for the two organisations finally teaming up! I also loved Ranpo's little buddy moments with Poe. 

Alongside all of that, we have some blanks filled in, for example, what Dazai chatted about with Kouyou, as well as his little plan. 

Everything with this little "Skill War" arc is wrapped up and it's wrapped up so nicely that I did wonder if this was the last volume, until that is, the last few pages with Dazai's ominous warnings of a menace to come and then the final page revealing yet another unhinged author. 

We have the odd moment of humour in a largely tense, edge of the seat volume as we try to save the city. Blanks are filled in, the arc is brought to a satisfying close, with the next stage of the story about to start and a little glimpse right at the end to tease us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...