Wednesday 16 May 2018

Review: Olivia Twist


Olivia Twist
Rating: 5/5
Buy or Borrow: Buy
Source: Copy courtesy of the publisher! 

Olivia Brownlow is no damsel in distress. Born in a workhouse and raised as a boy among thieving London street gangs, she is as tough and cunning as they come. When she is taken in by her uncle after a caper gone wrong, her life goes from fighting and stealing on the streets to lavish dinners and soirees as a debutante in high society. But she can’t seem to escape her past … or forget the teeming slums where children just like her still scrabble to survive.

Jack MacCarron rose from his place in London’s East End to become the adopted “nephew” of a society matron. Little does society know that MacCarron is a false name for a boy once known among London gangs as the Artful Dodger, and that he and his “aunt” are robbing them blind every chance they get. When Jack encounters Olivia Brownlow in places he least expects, his curiosity is piqued. Why is a society girl helping a bunch of homeless orphan thieves? Even more intriguing, why does she remind him so much of someone he once knew? Jack finds himself wondering if going legit and risking it all might be worth it for love.

Olivia Twist is an innovative reimagining of Charles Dickens’ classic tale Oliver Twist, in which Olivia was forced to live as a boy for her own safety until she was rescued from the streets. Now eighteen, Olivia finds herself at a crossroads: revealed secrets threaten to destroy the “proper” life she has built for her herself, while newfound feelings for an arrogant young man she shouldn’t like could derail her carefully laid plans for the future. 


I so, so love books set in the Victorian era, and this sounded like such a blast! I forever have memories of the musical....the movie....and the Disney movie drifting through my head, and I feel like this is kind of a post Oliver Twist thing but I haven't actually read the actual book so I'm not 100% sure. Either way, this is the kind of book I pick up and devour and love, and I freaking love this version of Oliver Twist! I really loved how the story and characters where twisted to fit the narrative! 

I loved Olivia, she's headstrong and capable and she stands her ground. I loved her attitude and her sass, she had me chuckling. But she also had such a kind heart too, looking after the orphans and so on. She's a socialite by day and she runs around London dressed as a boy at night! She can be sophisticated when she needs to be, but she's also street smart too. 

Jack/Dodger...he's the dashing criminal, let's be real. He's my adorable little cinnamon roll, and he has his vulnerable moments...but then he's also a badass thief who can casually take out three dudes with a brolly and his fists. He's trying to fit in with Society and the toffs, and he was such a fun character. I loved him, and I couldn't not ship he and Olivia...I'm not going to lie. 

I really loved the romance between the two of them, it gave me the warm and fuzzies, and it had me shrieking and squealing throughout the book! I shipped them so freaking hard, and I was rooting for them, and the contrast between the love interest was so very obvious. This was literally everything you need in a good historical romance! 

As for the other characters...I didn't want to like Topher at first but as Jack said....he grew on me and provided the odd chuckle too. I really liked Vi too and...oh look, Langdon provided me another ship to ship! 

I loved Langdon's writing style, it was period appropriate without being overly stodgy! Plus there was no over blown cockney phrasing continuously which as a Londoner...has made me cringe hardcore in other books! The writing was enough to aid in painting the picture of the setting and helped to draw you in to this London. 

Olivia Twist is fast paced, with a nice amount of action mixed in with the fancy parties and the cute fluffy moments with the romance! Sure some things where a little bit convenient towards the end, but it was a fun and entertaining read. I found myself chuckling and getting completely swept away with the story! I really loved how the romance was done, it along with some of the tense scenes had my heart racing! I'm hoping for more in this genre from Langdon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...