Tuesday 11 July 2017

Review: Runemarks



Runemarks
Rating: 4/5
Buy or Borrow: Buy 
Source: Copy courtesy of the publisher! 

Seven o’clock on a Monday morning, five hundred years after the end of the world, and goblins had been at the cellar again. . . . Not that anyone would admit it was goblins. In Maddy Smith’s world, order rules. Chaos, old gods, fairies, goblins, magic, glamours–all of these were supposedly vanquished centuries ago. But Maddy knows that a small bit of magic has survived. The “ruinmark” she was born with on her palm proves it–and makes the other villagers fearful that she is a witch (though helpful in dealing with the goblins-in-the-cellar problem). But the mysterious traveler One-Eye sees Maddy’s mark not as a defect, but as a destiny. And Maddy will need every scrap of forbidden magic One-Eye can teach her if she is to survive that destiny.

As you guys know, I looooveeeee mythology so I had to read this! Norse Mythology is something I've been becoming more and more interested in as times gone on. Originally I loved Egyptian and Greek and that was it, but then there was Thor and then there was Magnus Chase and yeah. Obsessed. I've heard good things about this book, and also that...you know...it has loads of mythology in it! I wasn't disappointed. 

Runemarks is a very rich book. The writing is rich, the world and the mythology are rich. I really enjoyed the world of this book, it was vivid and atmospheric, and you could get completely lost in it as you where reading...much like the characters who where actually lost at one point. teehee. As for the mythology...I was loving it. We get Loki telling us all about certain things and events, which was freaking awesome, and then we get the mythology woven in in other ways...and then we get the Gods. 

I loved the Gods. I loved how they where written, I loved seeing them interact with each other and how they worked together with Loki to overcome the problems that arise for them in this book. I loved that Loki was Maddy's companion for a good portion of the book, Harris really made him multi dimensional with depth. Sure he did bad things but...I personally really loved his character in this book. He was easy to like and you understood him in this book. I loved his interactions with Mimir and the other Gods, he was hilarious! I'm intrigued by all of the Gods, and I hope to see more of them in the next book, we got to see some of them but it was more towards the end and it'd be nice to get to know all of them a lot more! Plus more Loki! 

The characters where all very interesting, and brought to life brilliantly. Maddy I empathised with and felt for her and her whole situation at 'home' if you can call it that. I really rooted for her. Unexpectedly I found myself rooting for a Goblin called Sugar...didn't see that one coming let me tell you! He made me chuckle more than once, our reluctant hero! While there where plenty of characters to love there where also ones I hated. Nat. Oh how I hated him and his buddies, I definitely cheered at the end. 

I'm not sure if I'm the only one but I really did get some Pratchett vibes more than once as I was reading, the opening in particular really gave me those vibes, actually! 

Runemarks has a steady pace, and a narrative that's kept interesting and fresh as we switch from character POV to character POV, meaning we can also keep tabs on what's happening and where! The world building is brilliant, and you end up with a vivid and atmospheric setting for every scene, plus...I still want to know and see more about the world! Harris's writing is brilliant, pulling you in and weaving a picture for you as you read...not to mention the way she has melded fantasy and mythology. I loved hearing the mythology straight from Loki but I loved seeing aspects of it woven in to the story...like meeting Jorgi for instance! And on top of all of that, Harris has populated her story with interesting and memorable characters...including the ones you don't like! 

If you love Norse Mythology then this is the book for you! It was such a brilliant read, and I can't wait for book two! 


SaveSave

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...