Wednesday 30 August 2017

Review: Strange Practice


Strange Practice
Rating: 5/5
Buy or Borrow: Buy
Source: Copy courtesy of the publisher! 

Greta Helsing inherited the family's highly specialized, and highly peculiar, medical practice. In her consulting rooms, Dr. Helsing treats the undead for a host of ills - vocal strain in banshees, arthritis in barrow-wights, and entropy in mummies. Although barely making ends meet, this is just the quiet, supernatural-adjacent life Greta's been groomed for since childhood.

Until a sect of murderous monks emerges, killing human and undead Londoners alike. As terror takes hold of the city, Greta must use her unusual skills to stop the cult if she hopes to save her practice, and her life.


I was so intrigued by the sound of this, I'm thinking ooohhh Helsing...undead, various supernatural creatures etc but I wasn't really sure what to expect. As I started to read, I very quickly realised this was going to be one of my favourite books and series, and I completely fell in love with it. It's such a cracking read! 

 I was immediately hooked on the plot and characters. It's so fun, and so different and I actually found it to be a very refreshing read to be honest. I loved Greta so much, she had such a great narrative and point of view, filling you in on the different types of creature and other little bits and pieces. She made me fully cackle more than once. I was really rooting for her, and I loved that she was so intelligent and passionate about her work, and she was strong too. 

Ruthven is my second favourite character. I was like OOOOHH VAMPIRES YAAASS! HEY DRACULA! He was so freaking brilliant, and I loved his interactions with Greta. He too, had an excellent narrative and I loved all the little quirks about him and his personality and his history and oh my God he's just such a brilliantly created character and fits with literature about vampires and so on and aaaahh I love him! Lowkey ship him with Greta too. 

There's such a brilliant cast of characters, I loved Cranswell, Varney, Fastitocalon, Nadezhda....there are so many memorable and brilliant characters that you want to know more about and they're brilliantly characterised. I also ship Greta and Varney too! I loved the comments about his aesthetic too! I would LOVE to see more of Samael too, he was freaking hilarious. Like he had me in stitches and he's not there much. 

I loved the different points of view/narratives, they helped with the fast pace that the book had going from the start. It kept it moving forward and kept it fresh and in the case of the creepy POV, it added intrigue and mystery as you tried to put things together. I also really loved the history and mythology to the book too. I'm so excited by the world of this book and the characters and what's to come from this series!

Strange Practice is a refreshing, rich and brilliant read. It's fun, there's humour, mystery, murder, and even a little bit of romance too! It's kinda like CSI: Supernatural Edition. The characters are memorable, loveable and easy to root for, the plot kept you guessing and had some brilliant twists and turns. The world building is fantastic and I could see easily picture this hidden side of London. I'm eager to learn about more creatures, more mythology and lore, and more about the characters! Strange Practice is firmly one of my favourite books of the year, and it's my new favourite series. I can't wait for me and I'm eagerly awaiting any information on the sequel! 


SaveSaveSaveSave

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...