Tuesday 22 August 2017

Review: The Forever Ship



The Forever Ship
Rating: 3/5
Buy or Borrow: Buy
Source: Copy courtesy of the publisher! 

They were born together and they will die together.

One strong Alpha twin and one mutated Omega; the only thing they share is the moment of their death.

The Omegas live in segregation, cast out by their families as soon as their mutation becomes clear. Forced to live apart, they are ruthlessly oppressed by their Alpha counterparts.

The Alphas are the elite. Once their weaker twin has been cast aside, they’re free to live in privilege and safety, their Omega twin far from their thoughts.

Cass and Zach are both perfect on the outside: no missing limbs, no visible Omega mutation. But Cass has a secret: one that Zach will stop at nothing to expose. The power to change the world lies in both their hands. One will have to defeat the other to see their vision of the future come to pass, but if they’re not careful both will die in the struggle for power.
 


This review is actually hard for me to write. I loved the first book so much, it sucked me in and I was completely hooked. It was original and brilliantly written and such a great read. The second book lagged a little bit for me, but pulled itself back with the surprising twist at the end that made me reexamine how I looked at the book and the world of the book. 

Now don't get me wrong, as I started to read this I was straight back in to the world of the book. I loved Paloma, she was such an interesting character and had such different experiences from the others, I wanted to know more about her and Elsewhere. Zach is present quite a lot in this book and I actually found him interesting too, as we got to spend more and more time with him it was fascinating to see how he thought and interacted with Cass. There where some brutal betrayals and shock twists that had me gasping and completely blown away. 

I have two problems with this book. The first is that the pace at times is slow, at other times steady and then at others fairly fast. I'd plod through the slower parts and then rejoice at the faster parts. I don't mind a slower pace but the world is pretty bleak and even the happier moments don't really make a dent and with this third book I seriously found myself having to force myself to read it at some points. Yet 50 pages or so later I'd be totally hooked again and invested. Like, this is the third and final book and we spent a lot of time not really doing anything, there wasn't all that much action which I found disappointing as I'd been expecting an explosive finale to match the other two books. The action when it came, riveted me, but I do feel like towards the end of the book things where rushed a little bit. 

My other problem is that as the series went on, I got less and less attached to Cass, less emotionally attached/invested or whatever in her. I loved her in the first book and the second book, but in this book I found myself feeling kind of indifferent to her and not as emotionally attached at all. I was actually more interested in Zach to be honest, and part of me really couldn't blame him for how he felt towards Cass. I saw the Omega's point of view, and I knew Cass's but I also kind of felt for Zach a little bit too. That didn't make what he did right but I could see where he was coming from, something Cass couldn't seem to manage and that bugged me a little bit. That and Zach kept mentioning that Cass never really talked to him about anything, and yet she blames Zach for her eventually being outed. Part of me wonders if Zach would have been different had Cass really spoken and interacted with him. I don't know. 

Anyway, The Forever Ship continued to be atmospheric and vivid. The writing continued to be incredibly well done, I really do love the authors writing, she paints a vivid picture and the battles aren't glorified and neither are the deaths and so on. I just feel like this is the weakest book of the three. I mean the ending was satisfying and it was all wrapped up nicely but I felt no emotional connection to Cass in this book, I don't know why exactly, I don't know if the bleakness of Cass's narrative and the world finally got to me, or if I just wasn't in the right mood or frame of mind. But I found myself a wee bit disappointed all in all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...