Wednesday 17 May 2017

Review: Unconventional


Unconventional
Rating: 5/5
Buy or Borrow: Buy 
Source: Copy courtesy of the publisher! 

Lexi Angelo has grown up helping her dad with his events business. She likes to stay behind the scenes, planning and organizing...until author Aidan Green - messy haired and annoyingly arrogant - arrives unannounced at the first event of the year. Then Lexi's life is thrown into disarray.

In a flurry of late-night conversations, mixed messages and butterflies, Lexi discovers that some things can't be planned. Things like falling in love... 


Okay....I loved this book! It was just the pick me up that I needed and I read it in one sitting, in a couple of hours. This book is funny, accurate and relatable and the romance gave me the warm and fuzzies over and over! 

I love the letters, texts, emails and fliers etc breaking up the narrative and adding a fun little bursts throughout the book. I had a lot of fun spotting the authors and books that I love and freaking out! Melinda Salisbury was mentioned and I was like AAHHH MELINDAAAA! The end of the book has some fun little extras, Bede's Pineapple facts and an extract from Aidan's book which where nice little touches too!

There are so many brilliant characters in this book. I really liked Lexi, I connected to her and I felt for her and I understood where she was coming from. I wasn't too sure about Aidan in the beginning, I was totally on Lexi's side, but I ended up completely loving him once you see the other side to him. Like Lexi he was also very relatable and you could sympathise with him. I really liked Lexi's mum although I wasn't too fond of her dad for the most part. I wasn't sure I'd like Bea either but I ended up loving her too! 

Sam was one of my favourite characters, she was hilarious and a brilliant friend and I loved her constant cosplaying! I kinda wished I was her with all the outfits! I also really loved Bede and Nadiya, the dynamic and banter between the group made me chuckle, and warmed the cockles of my heart. They where a brilliant group of characters! OH and Damien totally surprised me, I will admit! 

I loved the romance, it gave me the warm and fuzzies, it was totally cute and I loved watching it develop. I liked the dynamics to it, with Aidan kind of having two different personalities. Aidan..and then Haydn the sought after debut author. Lexi was trying to decide which she'd fallen for, and was dealing with feeling kind of inferior to Aidan and the way his life is changing. I liked the little totally uncool moments that Aidan had. But I really, really loved watching their relationship develop and their feelings....so cuteee! 

I also have to talk about the setting, because I was expecting this to be set over the course of one convention so I had a couple of things that I thought where going to happen...but I was completely surprised and I loved it. The book is set at lots of different conventions, over a period of time and it completely delighted me and added to the fun! 

The final thing I want to say? I NEED Piecekeepers to be a real book. I NEED IT. Every single thing I read about Piecekeepers in this book I was like...I need this book. This is a book I would love. Please tell me this book exists. I need it. It has every single thing I love in a book and the extract at the end just made it worse because I read it and was like..moooreeee! I'm really, really hoping Maggie might write it if we all beg her enough! 

Unconventional is a fun, humorous, cute, easy and warm and fuzzy inducing read. There's a lot of emotion and heart to this book, alongside the fun. The characters are relatable and the settings are familiar and accurate. All in all, it's a brilliant book, and it lifted me out of my little slump! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...