Monday 8 May 2017

Review: The Edge of Everything


The Edge of Everything
Rating: 2/5
Buy or Borrow: Borrow
Source: Copy courtesy of the publisher! 

It’s been a shattering year for seventeen-year-old Zoe, who’s still reeling from her father's shockingly sudden death in a caving accident and her neighbors’ mysterious disappearance from their own home. Then on a terrifying sub-zero, blizzardy night in Montana, she and her brother are brutally attacked in a cabin in the woods—only to be rescued by a mysterious bounty hunter they call X.

X is no ordinary bounty hunter. He is from a hell called the Lowlands, sent to claim the soul of Zoe’s evil attacker and others like him. X is forbidden from revealing himself to anyone other than his prey, but he casts aside the Lowlands’ rules for Zoe. As they learn more about their colliding worlds, they begin to question the past, their fate, and their future. 


This isn't at all my usual thing, but I was intrigued by the synopsis! I went in to this not entirely sure what to expect, and while there where bits that I liked...there was also a lot I didn't. I really liked X, and I felt for X. He was kind of the tragic supernatural bounty hunter. 

I'm totally here for the tragic bounty hunter and Zoe getting their romance on. I was a little bit baffled by X's ability to turn his back in to a TV screen and replay everyones past sins. Like...okay. I was curious about X, and things weren't fair to him, he didn't ask to be what he was. He wasn't a criminal like all of the others. Which brings me to my second point. We have a bunch of criminals and what could be described as villains, in charge of who's a bad guy and who has to get dragged in to hell. The rules for the Underworld type place, where lacking. There where so many questions I had...and there where no answers whatsoever. I feel like there could have been some time spent going in to how it all worked.  

Now, while I liked X....although his screen back thing was weird...I had my issues with Zoe. I couldn't warm up to her. Who lets their little brother out in a blizzard with their dogs to play because they don't fancy dealing with it? Like...really? And she said some very questionable things. She also did some questionable things. Like when X's back turns in to a screen and she casually whips out her phone to put it on Instagram. Who does that? I didn't like her nor did I feel like she was a suitably emphatic being. 

The next strike against the book comes with the insta love. I don't like insta love for the most part. On very rare occasions I don't mind it. This isn't one of those occasions. I really didn't buy the romance. Like okay guys get your romance...but like...you've known each other for two days. The word boyfriend is tossed around and I feel like a big deal was made out of something that wasn't that big a deal, and it didn't make sense for it to be as big a deal as it was. 

There where moments of humour, I laughed at X a lot because his way of speech made me chuckle a lot. I felt like he should have been walking around in a waistcoat and top hat in Victorian England. I  liked Val and Dallas, two of the secondary characters. I hated Dervish. I'm still intrigued by X and the world he inhabits, mostly because it wasn't built and fleshed out sufficiently. I wasn't happy with the ending either, if I'm honest. 

All in all there are too many negatives about this book to save it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...