Friday 5 May 2017

Review: Kings of The Wyld


Kings of the Wyld
Rating: 4/5
Buy or Borrow: Buy 
Source: Copy courtesy of the publisher! 

GLORY NEVER GETS OLD.

Clay Cooper and his band were once the best of the best -- the meanest, dirtiest, most feared crew of mercenaries this side of the Heartwyld.

Their glory days long past, the mercs have grown apart and grown old, fat, drunk - or a combination of the three. Then an ex-bandmate turns up at Clay's door with a plea for help. His daughter Rose is trapped in a city besieged by an enemy one hundred thousand strong and hungry for blood. Rescuing Rose is the kind of mission that only the very brave or the very stupid would sign up for.

It's time to get the band back together for one last tour across the Wyld.
 


This was a surprise book mail kinda book, and I'd never heard of it before until it came through my letterbox. I wasn't too sure what to make of it, but I ended up really enjoying it. It really doesn't take itself too seriously, and so it was very, very funny. It literally has so much humour and tongue in cheek moments to counteract the darker, death and destruction, and general heartbreaking elements and moments to the story! It really, really reminded me of the Dragon Lords book! 

There's plenty of action and it's fast paced and vivid. I ended up getting pulled in to this book fairly easily, and it wasn't long before I was totally engrossed in the book. The world of the book was intriguing, and has been created full of interesting creatures. Gorgons.....dragons...wyverns....the bad guy was a creature I'd never heard of before and I kinda thought he was an elf until I clocked the 'rabbit ears' comment. It was kind of hard to take him seriously when picturing the bunny ears, but I think that may have been the point! 

There's actually many, many interesting settings throughout the book, empires, palaces, airships, deadly forests, arenas and all of them are created so perfectly and evoke a certain vibe and atmosphere and I had clear mental images of all the different settings. I was totally picturing a certain LOTR battle at one point at the end! All of them create such a brilliantly fun and original world and the author really makes his mark on the usual fantasy elements. 

I feel like this book is at its base....a simple quest plot. Two guys start out trying to get the band back together. Then they head off to rescue Gabe's daughter. But there's so many other elements woven throughout the book. Friendship and camaraderie. Family. I loved all the relationships in this book, the bonds. I loved the friendship between the group. I have to say, I love the element of all the merc bands, because they kind of came across as you know...actual bands. At one point I couldn't stop myself from envisioning like...One Direction VS Kiss! 

Kings of the Wyld is a fun, and very humorous read that had me snorting out loud and downright cackling more than once. There's action, adventure, friendship, family, humour, battles, politics and you know...more action! This is such a brilliant blend of action and humour and heartbreaking/heartwarming moments! Not to mention the interesting and very lively characters! 


SaveSave

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...