Tuesday 10 January 2017

Review: A Madness of Angels


Rating: 3/5 
Buy or Borrow: Buy 
Source: Copy courtesy of the publisher! 

Two years after his untimely death, Matthew Swift finds himself breathing once again, lying in bed in his London home.

Except that it's no longer his bed, or his home. And the last time this sorcerer was seen alive, an unknown assailant had gouged a hole so deep in his chest that his death was irrefutable...despite his body never being found.

He doesn't have long to mull over his resurrection, though, or the changes that have been wrought upon him. His only concern now is vengeance. Vengeance upon his monstrous killer and vengeance upon the one who brought him back. 

Another Urban Fantasy! I genuinely haven't read many of these in so long, I had a phase once when all I read was Urban Fantasy! Literally nothing else. I wanted to completely love this book, I really did but there where a couple of things holding me back. 

I loved the magic system in the book or the concept or whichever you want to call it. We have Urban magic in this book and the idea is that urban areas will have collected/developed magic. I loved all the gods mentioned throughout and how they where described, as someone who lives in the outer edges of London I genuinely found them fun and I'll definitely end up thinking of them now whenever I'm getting the last train for example! 

I thought the book was unique, imaginative and fun. I found it humorous in points and I really did like the authors prose and writing style. There where some brilliant descriptions throughout the book, lots of intrigue and little tidbits dropped throughout the story about Matthew and what was going on. I liked how the 'villain' was done, because at one point I was questioning who was right or wrong! 

My problem with the book was that I found it a bit hard to get in to in the beginning, the narrative and everything. I was a little bit confused and not entirely sure what was going on, which was probably the point but it just made it hard for me to get in to and connect with the characters. I do also think that while the descriptions where brilliant, sometimes the narrative did go on a little bit. BUT there was some great action throughout and the ending was fantastic! 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...