Wednesday 18 May 2016

Review: Who Killed Sherlock Holmes


Who Killed Sherlock Holmes
Rating: 4/5
Buy or Borrow: Buy 
Source: Copy courtesy of the publisher, MacMillan! 

Someone has murdered the ghost of Sherlock Holmes. As a fictional character remembered by the people of London, Holmes’ ghost walked the city, and now someone has put a ceremonial dagger through his chest. What could be the motive? The small team of Metropolitan Police detectives who have The Sight find themselves pursuing a criminal genius who soon lures them into a Sherlockian maze of too many clues and too much evidence. Ross finds herself drawn to an actor who may or may not be a deity, and goes on a quest to win back her happiness. Lofhouse seeks the answers, finally, about why she brought the team together. Quill battles for his sanity. Costain battles for his soul. And Sefton just wants to bring his team back together, even if that takes him to the edge of death.

Okay so I straight up need to say that I haven't read the other two books in the series, and I think I did okay with the book without having read them. I didn't actually realise this was in a series until it arrived! But I wanted to read it because ya know...Sherlock Holmes and his ghost...and said ghost being murdered! It sounds completely and utterly awesome. I mean in the beginning I did struggle a bit with getting in to it, but I managed to pick up what had been going on and stuff! Once I had...I had a burning to desire to read the other books as well because the team of sighted Police Officers who can see things like ghosts, and who all have their own problems like you know...possessed husbands..completely hooked me in! 

As we join the team they're investigating a series of murders that mimic murders from the Holmes books, and the murder of the great detective himself! Turns out we made him real with our belief! How cool is that?! This book is so cleverly written with references from the books that Holmes fanatics are going to love, as well as putting the pieces together and everything. It's complex, it's well written, clearly a lot of research has gone in to it and it hooks you in as you start coming up with your own theories. 

This book shocked me more than once, one time being when I found myself actually enjoying Moriarty and wanting to see him. I know right. SHOCKING. It's original and unique, not just with the Shadow Police but with the take on Sherlock Holmes in the book. There's Holmes actors all over the place, Gods, magical objects, it's dark and twisty and completely addicting as you go further and further in to this new side of Holmes and London. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...