Monday 2 July 2018

Review: A Reaper At The Gates



A Reaper at the Gates
Rating: 5/5
Buy or Borrow: Buy
Source: Copy courtesy of the publisher! 

Beyond the Empire and within it, the threat of war looms ever larger.

The Blood Shrike, Helene Aquilla, is assailed on all sides. Emperor Marcus, haunted by his past, grows increasingly unstable, while the Commandant capitalizes on his madness to bolster her own power. As Helene searches for a way to hold back the approaching darkness, her sister's life and the lives of all those in the Empire hang in the balance.

Far to the east, Laia of Serra knows the fate of the world lies not in the machinations of the Martial court, but in stopping the Nightbringer. But while hunting for a way to bring him down, Laia faces unexpected threats from those she hoped would aid her, and is drawn into a battle she never thought she'd have to fight.

And in the land between the living and the dead, Elias Veturius has given up his freedom to serve as Soul Catcher. But in doing so, he has vowed himself to an ancient power that will stop at nothing to ensure Elias's devotion–even at the cost of his humanity. 


Okay folks, here we go! I've been anticipating this book like mad after how Torch ended, and I eagerly dove in to this and just....well, I was basically glued to the page. 

We open with the chilling POV of the Nightbringer, you guys remember that charming individual right? Then we head off in to a tense situation that doesn't let up as there's imminent danger. I pretty much spent the whole book on the edge of my seat, with a creeping feeling of dread and something coming. 

I have to say...the Nightbringer kind of mentally divides me. I just can't decide how I feel about his character. On the one hand....he seems like a bad guy after everything he's done, and obviously I'm on  Laia's side, but on the other...I feel bad for him. We get his story this book and it hit me in the feels and I really do feel for the guy and I get why he's doing what he's doing but..an eye for an eye makes the whole world blind my dude. 

As usual Laia and Elias are our main POV's along with Helene. This book starts off tense but as the pace and tension throughout the book ramps up, each POV seems snappier, too short, and we leave each POV wanting more as we're thrown back in to the next POV that a mere chapter or two before...we where desperate to see what would happen next in and didn't want to leave, but now we don't want to leave the current POV. It was a vicious cycle that saw me eating my dinner with one hand because I couldn't put the book down. 

Helene...I kinda feel like she goes full dark side, and I can't blame her. I get why she's doing it, but it didn't stop me from crying "Heeeelleeeneee whyyyyy" at points. I kept thinking...why don't you just team up with Laia and Elias?! I do kind of get my wish at the end of this book. I really do like Helene, I've come to like her more and more throughout the books, she has a lot of depth and a lot that she struggles with personally. 

Helene really struck a chord with me this book, I just really supported her. She'll do anything to protect her sister, but deep down she tries her best to help the people. She cares about the people. She won't stand by and watch them get killed...unlike the Commandant who really just needs to die already. Sorry not sorry. The Nightbringer could do with taking a long walk off a short cliff too. OH and most excitingly....I've been feeling sorry for Helene because of the Elias thing but this time...I ship her and Harper so hard. C'mon Helene...let yourself be happy. I beg. 

Marcus...all I'm gonna say about him is that he's gone full crazy town....and God help me I felt sorry for him at one point which is a twist I didn't see coming. At the end...he could have been an arse but he wasn't, and he knew what was coming. 

Laia...well she really has come a long way since the first book hasn't she?! She's become much stronger and I felt so proud of her in this book. She's willing to fight, she's willing to do what she needs to, and no matter what hurts her, she picks herself up and carries on. Darin finds himself in this one as well, I feel like he's starting to heal although much of his struggle wasn't on the page. 

As for Elias...he's got himself in to a right pickle hasn't he? As soon as Shaeva made That comment...I knew what was going to happen..and it did. Like come on Elias...please listen before this situation gets any worse than it already is. We don't need ghosts and Jinn wandering about alongside the evil that is Marcus and the Commandant. I have to say...Elias changes quite a bit this book, I don't want to spoil it but...I was very interested in his journey, and his struggle with his two persona's. It's going to be interesting to see how his character goes forward from here. 

Excitingly...we get new characters this book! Musa being one of them, he's after Laia's help resurrecting the Resistance...I will admit I spent most of the book not being sure whether to trust him or not, not after what happened with a certain character in Torch! Ultimately, I'm curious about him, and his story and I'm looking forward to seeing more of him! 

Honestly...I read this book in two sittings, and I got completely engrossed and didn't take notes as I read. I had to frantically type out my feels when I was finished! 

There's tension, danger and action from the start. The pacing is excellent and Sabaa hits us with plot twists right from the start....like please let me get comfortable first Sabaa! Give me a chance! 

Reaper at the Gates completely upsets the board, it basically takes the game board...and tosses it up in the air. Everything changes with this book, I feel like this one has a different feel to it than the others. I can see people I'd hoped would work together, working together in the future and I'm really excited for it! I mean...things seem pretty dire and helpless as we leave the book...but I'm confident in my faves! They each  bring something different to the table, and they aren't going to let things go easily. 

There are some shocking revelations and plot twists, and we get some glimpses  of the past that changes what we think we know. The political manoeuvring and the backstabbing is on point, and I was so tense while I was reading this because at this stage we all know no-one is safe. I was on the edge of my seat. I was shrieking at the book in terror more than once. It was certainly a journey. I honestly felt so stressed reading this! 

Reaper at the Gates is a whirlwind of a read/journey and when you finish it...it kinda feels like you've walked through an actual tornado. That feeling of...who am I? What's going on? What just happened? What day is it? What is life? 

I just really can't even with this series. Each book ups it's game, and each book is better than the last which seems impossible when you read the current book..but it happens. Each one throws out shocks and twists and grows the characters and the plot. Not to mention the world and the history of it. Sabaa's writing is...intense. 

The wait for the next book is going to, once again, be brutal. Why? Because Sabaa can't do me a solid and leave the book in a somewhat hopeful place can she? I mean before the epilogue I was like "right my dudes, it's all good. Sure some s*** has gone down, sure things look bad...but we have a crack team of individuals ready to eff some shit up. We're gonna be fine". Then I turned the page. I read the epilogue. Sabaa had to do it didn't she? She had to throw in that final POV. Genuinely I closed the book like "well...everyone's screwed now. Goodbye characters, I loved you dearly", and Sabaa's like "Lol see you next year bitches". I love it. I love Sabaa. She's brutal...but she's brilliant! 
SaveSave

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...