Wednesday 18 July 2018

Manga: Wotakoi 2


Wotakoi Volume 2
Rating: 5/5
Buy or Borrow: Buy
Source: Copy courtesy of the publisher! 

Frustrated at the slow pace of their relationship, Hirotaka asks Narumi on a real date, with one critical stipulation: They can't show their otaku sides at all! Can the two find something to bond over in the absence of games, manga, and anime? Meanwhile, Hanako and Taro revisit the origins of their own tempestuous relationship back when they were in high school, and even Naoya seems to be spending more time with a new friend! 

And the award for extra AF previously goes to......NARUMIIIIIII! Honestly it cracked me up with how extra it was. We get some beautiful colour pages to kick off the volume, and we're straight back in with The Date. 

The first half of this volume gives us some fun little chapters getting to know the characters a bit more, and then alongside that we dip in and out of Narumi and Hirotaka's date. For the second half we do much the same but we dip in and out of Koyonagi and Kabakura's history in place of the date! I really liked the mix of humour and cute, fluffy moments throughout and the contrast between the ongoing story, mixed in with other chapters. 

The comedic timing and humour are spot on, in this series and I find myself chuckling along as I'm reading! Naoya is hilariously oblivious to Narumi and Koyonagi's BL talk, bless him. I'm really loving his character and I'm on the lookout for a romantic interest for him! Luckily this volume introduces us to Sakuragi, who looks set to be his new BFF! Her "Solo performance review skill" is liiiiiteraaaallly me. Seriously. Honestly, I already ship them, except Naoya thinks she...is a he. 

Wotakoi is accurate AF. It's entertaining, hilarious, and so freaking relatable! Not even just because of the Otakuness of it all! The art is cute, particularly when it comes to the game the group plays, and then brilliantly well drawn for the real world! 

Honestly, whenever I read this, it gets me so "Aaaaaahhh I really do love anime, once I've finished reading this I'm gonna watch AAALL THE ANIME AND BUY ALL THE MERCH!". It reminds me what I love so much about anime and manga, basically! 

This volume lets us get to know the characters a bit more, see other sides to the, and gives us some history on how Hanako and Kabakura got together! All with the usual doses of accuracy, relatability and humour! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...