Friday 23 March 2018

Manga: Angels of Death 2


Angels of Death Vol 2
Rating: 5/5
Buy or Borrow: Buy
Source: Copy courtesy of the publisher! 

As amnesiac Ray and cutthroat killer Zack try to break out of the basement, they finally arrive at the graveyard that is Floor B4. There, a boy who's become quite taken with Ray has been lying in wait... 

So, I completely and utterly fell in love with this series from volume 1, and I'm trying to work out how to play the game on my Macbook, so I've been eagerly waiting the next volume and I pretty much devoured it straight away! 

I really want to like Zack and I low-key ship he and Ray, I'm not going to lie. This volume gives us some background on Zack and his past which I've ben curious about since the previous volume and I wasn't entirely expecting to get such a chunk of backstory so soon. He's almost heroic at one point in this volume....in his own, creepy, serial killer kinda way. Bless him. 

Ray and her lack of emotions is genuinely fascinating to me, and I have so many questions about her and her past and why she is the way she is, and who she is and so on. I was hoping for some clues or tidbits this volume but nope! Zack is taking his pact with her pretty seriously, much to my surprise, and it seems she is too. To be honest, if this goes the romance route it's gonna be one weird romance but I'm so ready for it! 

The murderer of the volume is Edward Mason, the creator of the grave stones and he seems to know Zack, presumably from them living in this complex together. It was actually pretty funny. Eddie is one of those creepy kid characters that make you dislike kids a little bit. He's also been taking fashion advice from Jack Skellington. I mean...it's a sack but it looks kinda like a pumpkin. I actually empathised with him at the start, before he went full crazy. Because I could see where he was coming from. 

That's the thing about these characters, you kinda like them or empathise with them before they flip their switch and reveal the killers they are. In Rachel's case you feel for her and you're curious about her but there's also something off about her and that feeling grows in this volume. Much as I ship she and Zack, they're kind of unsettling both separately and together. In Zack's case...it's mentioned again that while he's a serial killer, and you find out his past and two of his victims, (I mean fair play, you can't say they didn't have it coming) you hear again how he's failed to kill anyone in the building and I genuinely think/hope that there's more to him, that he might not be who we think he is. I'm hoping he'll surprise us! 

I love the detail given to the characters at the end of each volume, and in the volume itself. So with Eddie for example, he's really fleshed out, considering you only get him for one volume, and you really get to understand him as a character. It's really well done, it makes them more than just throwaway characters for one volume. 

This volume focuses on the one floor, B4, and it's a speedy journey through it, Zack and Ray come to more of an understanding, and then we get a glimpse of our next killer who looks like yet another vastly different one to the others we've seen so far! 

Once again, the art is oddly cute, considering the murderers and serial killers, like Eddie is hella creepy moving in the dark and appearing and disappearing, and his whole grave thing...but his mask is just so damn cute! It's odd to feel tension reading certain scenes in this and it being because of a cute pumpkin/sack headed kid. I don't think I'll ever get bored of this series, there's so many interesting aspects to it, and the characters and their development are really well done! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...