Friday 22 July 2016

Review: Dragon Lords



The Dragon Lords: Fool's Gold 
Rating: 4/5 
Buy or Borrow: Buy! 
Source: Copy courtesy of the publisher, Orbit! 

A brand new adventure fantasy: imagine Guardians of the Galaxyplanning a heist on Smaug's gold, for fans looking for something with a modern twist and some humor.

Guardians of the Galaxy meets The Hobbit in this rollicking fantasy adventure.

It's not easy to live in a world ruled by dragons. The taxes are high and their control is complete. But for one group of bold misfits, it's time to band together and steal back some of that wealth.

No one said they were smart. 


You guys...this book was so freaking hilarious I can't even! I wasn't sure what to expect going in, i'd been drawn on on the "Guardians of The Galaxy meets The Hobbit premise and as soon as I started reading this book it was not what I expected. It was a brilliant fantasy yes, but it was also completely hilarious which kept you reading just as much as the action. 

The setting was completely brilliant it came to life, and the characters are completely brilliant. You have Firkin the old drunkard who decides he's the "Priest of the Prophet"/"The mouth of the Prophet" and basically just wants free booze. Will who accidentally formulated the first plan and then just kept coming up with more. Like it reached the stage where he was like "I'm really sorry but...I've got a plan". I think I felt for Will out of all of them because of how much he'd lost, you could understand his motivation and his anger. You have Lette my favourite character, she's badass, she's a mercenary her language is atrocious which is hilarious, she's super skilled with a blade and she wants to be a better person. She doesn't want to kill people anymore. Balur is her 'tribe' he's essentially a giant lizard man and all he wants to do is kill people. That's what makes him happiest. He doesn't get Lettes desire to be better. Quirk is the final member of our crew and she studies magical plants and animals and coincidentally really wants to study a dragon. She's a magician who doesn't like her magic, doesn't want to use it anymore. She does alchemy as a hobby and is hilariously disapproving of the whole thing but then is like...ooh dragons. 

We have POVs from all of the characters and each has their own unique voice and has a hugely entertaining narrative. Although I think my favourite narratives may have been that of the dragons. Yep. We get the dragons POV as well and they are freaking hilarious. Mattrax, Dathrax and Kithrax pretty much think they're the s***. They are dragons to be fair, but I found their POVs incredibly hilarious. Dathrax in particular was such a pompous prat. 

I loved the interplay between Lette and Balur, their banter and relationship was both hilarious and heartwarming to a certain extent. I liked the relationship between Lette and Will and watching it develop, but it's not in your face, it's very secondary. Most of all I loved watching the group work together, the scenes with all of them where hilarious. They had such great banter between all of them and the scenes with them really came off the page. 

Fool's Gold is hilarious from page one, and it keeps on coming with the hilarity, not just in the narratives and dialogue but also in the chapter headings, there are gems such as "Totally Fucked" and "We're Going To Need a Bigger Boat". I honestly couldn't stop laughing I wasn't expecting it to be quite so funny. The world is rich, I'm intrigued by the Gods in it and was half waiting for them to make an appearance. Scenes spring vividly to life, even ones you could do without like Balur murdering people for instance. It's fast paced, hard to put down and incredibly entertaining with some truly memorable characters. I'm so intrigued to see what's going to happen next! 



1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh this sounds so good! I'll definitely have to give this a read now, this is just the kind of read I need in my life :P Thank you for introducing me to this book!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...