Tuesday 13 December 2016

Review: Pantomime


Pantomime 
Rating: 4/5 
Buy or Borrow: Buy 
Source: Copy courtesy of the publisher! 

In a land of lost wonders, the past is stirring once more . . .

Gene's life resembles a debutante's dream. Yet she hides a secret that would see her shunned by the nobility. Gene is both male and female. Then she displays unwanted magical abilities - last seen in mysterious beings from an almost-forgotten age. Matters escalate further when her parents plan a devastating betrayal, so she flees home, dressed as a boy.

The city beyond contains glowing glass relics from a lost civilization. They call to her, but she wants freedom not mysteries. So, reinvented as 'Micah Grey', Gene joins the circus. As an aerialist, she discovers the joy of flight - but the circus has a dark side. She's also plagued by visions foretelling danger. A storm is howling in from the past, but will she heed its roar? 


I wasn't entirely sure what to expect from this book, but I read it in one sitting and found myself getting lost in the world of the book. Sure there where moments when not much was happening and the pace was a little slow BUT, the world was so unique and Micah/Gene was such a brilliant character to follow! 

I have never, ever read a book before with an intersex character and I've worried so much about coming across as rude or something when I'm writing this review or not being in a position to comment, but I feel like it was portrayed very well. Issues where faced, there was no faffing around. I felt for Gene/Micah, I sympathised with the struggle to find an identity, the struggles with sexuality. It was believable and written about very sensitively. 

I loved the extracts heading each of the chapters, acquainting you with the world and pulling you in that little bit more. I loved the character development, and we have such an interesting bunch of characters. I particularly liked Drystan, I was so intrigued by his past and what he was doing at the circus, and I liked Aenea and Frit too, I'm hoping to see more of Frit in the future! As for Aenea well, she devastated me at the end there. I wasn't sure if we where heading to love triangle territory or not but obviously not and I'm intrigued by the new struggles the characters will face in the next book, especially with what they've done if they're comments about them being "monsters" is anything to go by. 

I just felt like Pantomime was emotional and fun and unique and imaginative. I loved the group of characters that make up the circus and the interactions between them. There's action and romance and such a brilliant atmosphere. I'm so intrigued by the world of the book and the history to it, I want to see and learn more about it! There's plenty of self discovery and it almost has a coming of age vibe to it that I enjoyed. I just loved the vibe to the circus and the people there and the hierarchy and the little things that made it so believable and authentic. The book is so vividly written with the circus and the Vestige and the settings and everything. And the ENDING! I saw some of the twists coming but not that and I'm so excited to dive in to the second book! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...