Thursday 22 September 2016

Review: Songs About A Girl


Songs About A Girl 
Rating: 4/5
Buy or Borrow: Buy 
Source: Copy courtesy of the publisher! 

Charlie Bloom never wanted to be 'with the band'. She's happiest out of the spotlight, behind her camera, unseen and unnoticed. But when she's asked to take backstage photos for hot new boy band Fire&Lights, she can't pass up the chance. 

Catapulted into a world of paparazzi and backstage bickering, Charlie soon becomes caught between gorgeous but damaged frontman, Gabriel West, and his boy-next-door bandmate Olly Samson. Then, as the boys' rivalry threatens to tear the band apart, Charlie stumbles upon a mind-blowing secret, hidden in the lyrics of their songs...


I got sent a proof of this kind of randomly when I received another book to review, I'm not going to lie, but I kept hearing about the book and got more and more intrigued by it. We all love a bit of boyband lit, let's be honest, and this sounded like something a little bit different and as I started to read my brain started to race because...something was going on...I just wasn't sure what. I had plenty of theories, let me tell you, some of them where downright ludicrous, but when the big reveal came..that was one theory I never considered! I was blown away. There's romance in the book but there's mystery too, and I loved that combination of the two! 

This book is freaking hilarious, it had me laughing out loud multiple times, and I actually read all of it in one go, in a couple of hours...I'd only meant to read a couple of chapters. It was SO good, I couldn't put it down. I had to know what happened with Charlie and Olly and Gabriel, I had to know what was going on with the lyrics, and then the book ended and I STILL HAVE TO KNOW THINGS. I'm so damn impatient, I just NEED to know! I'm so not over the mystery aspect of the book, I wasn't really expecting it. Like I knew there was a 'secret' but it wasn't at all what expected, and I didn't expect the mystery to feature so heavily! Of all the boyband lit I've read, this is one of the best, I can't even, I got so damned hooked on the book! 

I loved the friendship and banter between Charlie and Melissa, although I was completely shocked by that revelation. Seriously. It never crossed my mind, clearly I'm in an idiot but whatever. I loved Charlie as a narrator, she was a breath of fresh air, and I loved how she really didn't give a damn about the band and their fame, and she was a very authentic and genuine character. I loved her so much, I was rooting for her the entire way through and I got so attached to her I got so mad on her behalf a couple of times! 

I'm not going to lie, I was kind of Team Olly in the beginning, and I still am a little bit, but we got to know Gabriel more than Olly, and I ended up really loving Gabriel, even if I did want to smack him one at one point. They where both so damn adorable though, it should be illegal because I was torn between the two for like, the entirety of the book, even though Gabriel was clearly the one Charlie would end up with. I really do feel kinda bad for poor old Olly though, bless him. I'm interested to see what's going to happen with Charlie and Gabriels relationship in the next book! ALSO I'M SUPER INTRIGUED TO FIND OUT WHAT HAPPENS NEXT BECAUSE LIKE I KEEP SAYING I NEED TO KNOW THIIIINNGGGSSSS. The ending was CRUEL I TELL YOU. CRUUEEELL. 


1 comment:

  1. This book sounds really good, I love a good mystery book especially around the Autumn and Winter season, great review x

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...