Thursday 9 February 2017

Review: Geekerella


Geekerella
Rating: 4/5
Buy or Borrow: Buy 
Source: Copy courtesy of the publisher! 

Geek girl Elle Wittimer lives and breathes Starfield, the classic sci-fi series she grew up watching with her late father. So when she sees a cosplay contest for a new Starfield movie, she has to enter. The prize? An invitation to the ExcelsiCon Cosplay Ball, and a meet-and-greet with the actor slated to play Federation Prince Carmindor in the reboot. With savings from her gig at the Magic Pumpkin food truck (and her dad’s old costume), Elle’s determined to win…unless her stepsisters get there first.

Teen actor Darien Freeman used to live for cons—before he was famous. Now they’re nothing but autographs and awkward meet-and-greets. Playing Carmindor is all he’s ever wanted, but Starfield fandom has written him off as just another dumb heartthrob. As ExcelsiCon draws near, Darien feels more and more like a fake—until he meets a girl who shows him otherwise. But when she disappears at midnight, will he ever be able to find her again?

Part romance, part love letter to nerd culture, and all totally adorbs, Geekerella is a fairy tale for anyone who believes in the magic of fandom. 


I have to say, this book was exactly what I needed when I was having a bad day on Monday! It was easy to read, it was cute, it made me want to keep reading, I loved the pure geekiness of it and just...the warm and fuzzies....the previously mentioned cute...I can't even! 

I immediately felt at home reading this book, it's so nerdy. So nerdy. But also so true and so authentic because of that. I think we're all a fan of at least one thing to the level that Elle is, or used to be or whatever. We've all been there. It reminded me a little bit of All The Feels and Cinder and Ella, kinda like a combination of both, but with its own spin to it which made it fun! 

I loved Elle she was so relatable, and so was Darien. They where easy to empathise with, you understood their motivations and their actions. I really felt for Elle more than once, she didn't have it easy and she was a lot more chill about it than a lot of us would be I think! Darien had a lot of crap to deal with too, admittedly it did come from him living the dream but still! I also really, really loved Sage! I wasn't sure I was going to at first but then you got to know her along with Elle and she was brilliant. She cracked me up more than once, especially with what she did to James and she really has Elle's back despite not having known her very long! I was rooting for the friendship as much as the romance. 

Geekerella was funny and yet emotional at times. It was nostalgic and authentic and incredibly relatable for all of us nerds! Although you know....the character Darien's playing didn't get whitewashed and with how things currently are, I hate to say it but that probably wouldn't have happened in real life! Geekerella was a lot of fun, it made me miss writing and fangirling and it was genuinely just what I needed. It picked my mood right up and the ending was perfect and so much more realistic than many others! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...