Friday 26 January 2018

Review: Batman Nightwalker


Batman Nightwalker
Rating: 4/5
Buy or Borrow: Buy
Source: Copy courtesy of the publisher! 

Before he was Batman, he was Bruce Wayne. A reckless boy willing to break the rules for a girl who may be his worst enemy.

The Nightwalkers are terrorizing Gotham City, and Bruce Wayne is next on their list.

One by one, the city's elites are being executed as their mansions' security systems turn against them, trapping them like prey. Meanwhile, Bruce is turning eighteen and about to inherit his family's fortune, not to mention the keys to Wayne Enterprises and all the tech gadgetry his heart could ever desire. But after a run-in with the police, he's forced to do community service at Arkham Asylum, the infamous prison that holds the city's most brutal criminals.

Madeleine Wallace is a brilliant killer . . . and Bruce's only hope.

In Arkham, Bruce meets Madeleine, a brilliant girl with ties to the Nightwalkers. What is she hiding? And why will she speak only to Bruce? Madeleine is the mystery Bruce must unravel. But is he getting her to divulge her secrets, or is he feeding her the information she needs to bring Gotham City to its knees? Bruce will walk the dark line between trust and betrayal as the Nightwalkers circle closer.
 


I'm so pumped for the DC Icons series, and Wonder Woman Warbringer was freaking brilliant, so I've been anticipating this one like mad! Especially since I recently read Warcross which was basically my first book by Marie Lu ever! I'm so thankful to Sarah at Penguin for sending me a review copy of this book, because I got to read it in one sitting on holiday and it made my life complete! 

The opening is dark and ominous and it had a very Gotham vibe, meaning the TV show! I was immediately thrown in to a dark and gritty version of Gotham City and my interest was piqued straight away. I'm not going to lie to you guys, I kinda felt like this was a bit Criminal Minds crossed with Batman! 

Bruce.....I can so relate dude. Lu brings him to life so well, his thoughts and feelings are relatable and you can see his point of view easily, even if I did want to smack him or shout at him about Madeleine more than once! I got what he was feeling and going through and why he was acting like he was, and I did admire his determination to find the culprits. Dianne I completely loved and I wish we'd gotten to see more of her! When I saw Harvey Dent was in this book, I immediately perked up because you know....spoiler alert, but in the movies/tv show/comics, Harvey becomes Two Face, one of Batman's enemies and I was like...okay this is gonna hurt. Seeing Bruce and Harvey's friendship kicked me right in the feels. I really liked how Harvey was portrayed, it was very in line with what makes him eventually become Two Face. 

There's such a great friendship between Bruce, Dianne and Harvey, it's such a shame Harvey will go all villain later. I could totally read a series with these three I'm not going to lie! Like I said, Dianne was a lot of fun and I so want to see some more of her, and I'd be interested to see how Lu makes Harvey go all villain! I enjoyed the bond and the banter between the three of them and how they where there for Bruce, and helped him. 

On the Villain side of things we have Madeleine who's cunning, sly and kind of really creepy. I found myself disliking her at points, but then kind of admiring her at others because she's so intelligent. As the book went on, I actually felt for her once her backstory came out and I was torn about what I wanted to happen because you know...she's a villain but I kinda wanted her to get a happyish ending. Richard....sorry but he was a prize a-hole and any sympathy I might have had for him swiftly evaporated and I found it really hard to conjure any up at the end. 

Alfred and Lucius pop up a lot and I forever love the relationship Bruce has with them. We also get a brief visit from Detective Gordon! Metropolis is mentioned too and there's plenty of Batman easter eggs and tidbits, Harvey's coin for example, as well as a view DC one's in general. Hey Lex ;) Nightwalker fits so well in to the Batman cannon and Lu clearly knows what she's talking/writing about when it comes to this book! 

Each scene and setting is vivid and brought to life until you're wandering the streets of Gotham with Bruce. The grimy, gritty streets of Gotham are brought in to sharp relief and the image I had in my mind almost had a vignette over it, making it dim and dark. It's a completely different vibe and feel to the Wonder Woman book and is perfect for Batman. There's a steady pace with a nice amount of action, I got Gotham vibes like I said, but it also gave the vibe of one of the Christopher Nolan Batman films. At least to me! 

Bruce goes on quite the journey through the book and I liked the contrast between the two car journeys at the beginning of the book, and the end! The ending was very satisfying too! All in all it's a perfect addition to not only the Batman cannon but also the DC Icons series in general, and the more books I read in this series the more pumped I get for the rest! 

SaveSaveSaveSave

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...