Monday 18 June 2018

Review: Sacrificial Princess and the King of Beasts



Sacrificial Princess and the King of Beasts Vol 1
Rating: 4/5
Buy or Borrow: Buy! 
Source: Copy courtesy of the publisher! 

A young girl has resigned herself to being he next sacrificial meal for the Beast King...but the king is no mere monster! Love is more than skin-deep in this gorgeous fantasy manga. 

I'm not going to lie to you guys, I got some hardcore Beauty and the Beast vibes from this one! I feel like Yen Press has really got my back with all these fairy tale retellings...Mermaid Boys and the Little Mermaid, this and Beauty and the Beast....I'm living for it! 

I eagerly dove in to this ready to see what it was all about, and right from the start I was hooked. Why? Because there's a certain character and I was like "Wooooaaaaah he looks like Anubis...oh wait...he actually is...HELL YES I'M GONNA LOVE THIS". Anubis is kind of a nag, but he's also really funny although I kinda wanted to smack him at one point. 

Sariphi has such an attitude and it's freaking hilarious, she had me chuckling from the start and you can't help but empathise and root for her. Her sole purpose was to be "sacrificed" to the King of Beasts. But she's not actually bitter or anything like you'd expect. 

The King is the definition of the tortured hero, he's trying to protect everyone and everything and harming himself in the process but no-one's aware of it. Except for Sariphi towards the end, but still. His human form is gorgeously drawn, and his beast form is reaaaaally reminiscent of Beauty and the Beast, but fiercer! 

Oh and Cy and Clops are totally adorable! 

The story moves along at a nice, fast pace! Introducing us to the characters and kicking the plot off. There's political intrigue and unrest to go with the humour and romance, and there's even some drama thrown in too! The art is gorgeous, and cute, I loved how the beast people are drawn! I also particularly liked the world, it's a fun world, and we get quite a lot of information about it and how it all works, it's really intriguing! 

The ending certainly leaves you wanting more and I'm definitely curious to see how this is all going to play out and where the story is going to go! Oh, and there's a brilliant bonus chapter too! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...