Thursday 21 December 2017

Review: The Mystery Of The Midnight Peacock


The Mystery of the Midnight Peacock
Rating: 4/5
Buy or Borrow: Buy! 
Source: Copy courtesy of the publisher! 

You are cordially invited to Sinclair's Midnight Peacock Ball! The festive season has come to Sinclair's and Sophie and Lil are spending the holidays at snowy Winter Hall. But it turns out that this is no ordinary house party ...As sinister secrets come to light, our intrepid heroines find themselves faced with a more baffling mystery than ever before! With the help of their friends, can they uncover the truth in time to foil a truly diabolical plot? Or will Mr Sinclair's New Year's Eve Midnight Peacock Ball spell disaster for the dauntless young detectives? Prepare for shocks and surprises in the thrilling conclusion to the Sinclair's Mysteries! 

I don't usually read anything younger than YA, but this is genuinely one of my favourite series and before I started reading this...and you know, while I was reading it, I was so sad that this was the last book! It's all over GoodReads and the back cover that this is the final book, the conclusion. And I was totally devastated because I was hoping the series would go longer! 

But upon completing the book, I discovered a ray of hope! A little page at the back of the book that let's us all know that Sophie and Lil will be back and it shows their business card for their detective agency so I'm guessing my luck is in and this series is going to go longer, but under a new series title! So yaaaaaaaay! I'm going to assume the focus is going to shift towards their detective agency and maybe aware from Sinclaire's a bit! Or at least not feature the store so much, we'll see! Anyway.....

This book has such a creepy opening, and ghosts freak me out so I was immediately shuddering. But everyone's gearing up for Christmas so the creepiness soon faded away from me! Sophie, Lil and Jack head to Leo's family estate and it was interesting to see Leo's home life and what her parents and family are like. I was pleased she had one ally amongst them all. Sophie also has a lead on a possible source to help her solve the mystery surrounding her father. 

Meanwhile, Billy and Joe elect to stay behind because work, and they have a mystery of their own to solve at Sinclaire's. We kind of have a couple of little mysteries and plot threads throughout this book that weave together excellently and come together for the grand finale. It was really well done! 

We get a new character in Tilly, and I loved her! I'm hoping for more of her, she's a servant at Leo's house and her childhood friend and she's interested in cars and mechanics and is intelligent and a brilliant addition to our little team. I really enjoyed seeing Sophie and Lil learning Kung Fu from Mei and Song's father, along with Connie and the other Suffragettes, who, by the way, got to be quite the little badasses at one point in the story. But it showed that there's going to be some more action for Sophie and Lil and that they're perfectly capable of taking care of themselves now! 

One of the things I loved about this book was how it was filled with pretty much everyone we've ever met so far, there's so many familiar faces that we've seen throughout the other books and they all chip and help with the mystery in this one and so it felt like a final book because of that, but I'm hoping some of them will pop up in Sophie and Lil's next adventures! 

I'm not going to lie, there is the plot twist of all plot twists concerning a certain character and I was side eyeing said character for the rest of the book and generally unsure who to trust and then that character did a complete 180 again and surprised me again. This one really kept me on my toes! Although my shipper heart was a little bit broken by Sophie and Lil's comments on their romantic lives, like on the one hand "woooo you go girl! Totally get it!" on the other...I just really ship Sophie and Jack and Lil and Joe. *Sobs* There's a smidge of romance from a couple of characters though that was really sweet! 

The Mystery of the Midnight Peacock is fast paced and we get so many answers to so many questions that we've had building up over the course of the series. The Sinclaire's mysteries have been well and truly wrapped up and wrapped up incredibly well. It's a satisfying ending.....but the Society is still out there, there's still the mystery concerning the paintings and so on! I'm hoping Sophie and Lil's next adventures will give us some answers regarding that! I'm so up for a treasure hunt! All in all, it's another brilliant instalment that kept me guessing, and had me shocked and surprised throughout. The historical detail makes this an authentic read, as well as entertaining! 
SaveSave

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...